.

NEWS AND VIEWS THAT IMPACT LIMITED CONSTITUTIONAL GOVERNMENT

"There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with
power to endanger the public liberty." - - - - John Adams

Monday, March 11, 2013

Airline forces soldier to wear burka-like robes


Royal Navy engineer Nicky Howse, 32, was told she would have to remove her uniform if she wanted to board a flight in case it offended other passengers.


A brave British soldier was ordered by Virgin Atlantic staff to remover her uniform because it might offend other passengers. 
  • Gee, I wonder what type of passenger Virgin was worried about offending?


Political Correctness Gone Mad  -  For 15 years she has proudly served her country as a Royal Navy engineer, risking her life in Afghanistan when she fought against the Taliban.
.
The Virgin airline staff warned the 32-year-old helicopter technician she would not be allowed to fly unless she took off her combat fatigues and wore a burka-like sleep suit instead.

Petty Officer Howse is on a three-month deployment with a helicopter unit in the US, but had been home on compassionate leave to attend her grandfather’s funeral. She had worn her uniform without any problems on a Virgin flight from America to Britain the week before reports the UK Daily Mail.


The Royal Navy engineer was forced to change into
a burka-like sleep suit for the duration of the flight.

The incident happened as she waited for her return flight to Los Angeles from Heathrow.
She was confronted by a G4S security guard and Virgin Atlantic staff, who ordered her to change into the burka-like pyjamas before boarding the jet.
.
They told her – wrongly – that it was the company’s policy not to allow military personnel to travel in uniform.

In emails sent to a civilian friend, Petty Officer Howse, from Ipswich, Suffolk, said: ‘It was horrific. I was made to feel uncomfortable in my own country for wearing the uniform I wear to defend the place. It made me ashamed of my country that a British serviceman can’t travel in uniform. I was so distressed.’
.
She told her friend: ‘It started at check-in. Some G4S security guy gave me the third degree about travelling in uniform. I was fuming. He was rude, he wouldn’t let the check-in girl give me my passport.
.
‘I was shaking with rage. I thought it was all done. But when I got to the departure gate I was taken to the side by the flight supervisor and they said I wasn’t allowed to fly in uniform and had to wear a sleep suit. I then stood feeling completely humiliated with other passengers, clearly curious as to what was going on, staring at me, waiting for him to come back with the black pyjamas.
.
‘I asked if it was Virgin policy, they said “Yes”. I refused to wear it until after I was on board then still refused but basically got told I’d be asked to leave the flight if I didn’t take it off or cover it up.’
.
She told her friend: ‘I was basically told it was because “We don’t only fly British passengers” and told it was seen as a threat. I went ballistic. I said “In the country I defend I can’t wear my uniform?”
.
‘They then said it was for my own safety to stop abuse to which I replied I can deal with that myself if it arises as I did in Afghanistan.
.
‘Honestly, I was gobsmacked and horrified. I was so distressed, particularly since the whole reason I was travelling was for a funeral.
.
‘To clarify, a British airline who claims to be Britain’s flag carrier won’t allow a member of Britain’s armed forces to travel on their airline in uniform.’ Armed Forces rules state that a serviceman or woman can wear their uniforms voluntarily from their ‘residence to place of duty, irrespective of whether they travel by public or private transport, or on foot.’
.
Colonel Richard Kemp, who led British forces in Afghanistan, said: ‘This is an insult to the Royal Navy and to the British armed forces who the Queen’s uniform represents.
.
‘This naval engineer has volunteered to serve and to fight for her country. How dare Virgin Atlantic and G4S treat her like dirt?’
.
Tory MP Patrick Mercer, a former infantry officer, said: ‘Our soldiers, sailors and airmen risk their lives so that firms like Virgin Atlantic can operate and make money.
.
‘It is nothing short of disgraceful that they don’t receive the proper respect due to their uniform.’


Richard Branson made a twitter apology for the event.  “An airport security guard made a dreadful mistake in telling our staff a service woman could not wear her uniform on our flight.  Our team made a mistake in following that advice. The@VirginAtlantic people involved are mortified and have apologised profusely.”

No comments: