.

NEWS AND VIEWS THAT IMPACT LIMITED CONSTITUTIONAL GOVERNMENT

"There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with
power to endanger the public liberty." - - - - John Adams

Friday, December 20, 2013

Harry Reid signs up for a subsidized Obamacare plan



You are paying for Reid's Obamacare Plan



Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D.-Nev.), whose salary is $193,400 a year, said he has purchased a health care plan through the D.C. Obamacare exchange and that he is accepting the federal subsidy that can run up to $11,378 per year for a member of Congress to purchase a plan on that exchange.

“I’m just like 150 million other people in America,” Reid said. “My employer helps me pay for my health care.”

private citizens buying an insurance plan in an Obamacare exchange can get a federal subsidy only if their income is less than 400 percent of the federal poverty level--which equals $94,200 for a family of four reports CNS News.


However, as CNSNews.com has reported, a regulation issued by the Office of Personnel Management to implement the Obamacare mandate allows members of Congress to get an "employer contribution" from the U.S. Treasury when they buy a health insurance plan in the exchange set up for small businesses in Washington, D.C.

That subsidy can run up to $11,378 per year for a family plan.

CNSNews.com asked Reid on Wednesday at the Capitol if he had purchased a health care plan through the D.C. exchange.

“Yes, I have,” he said.

CNSNews.com then asked Reid if he was accepting the federal subsidy to help pay for that plan.

“Yes, I am,” Reid said.

Finally, CNSNews.com asked Reid why he thought accepting the subsidy was the right thing to do.

“I’m just like 150 million other people in America,” Reid said. “My employer helps me pay for my health care.”



 

No comments: