.

NEWS AND VIEWS THAT IMPACT LIMITED CONSTITUTIONAL GOVERNMENT

"There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with
power to endanger the public liberty." - - - - John Adams

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

R.I.P. - Lauren Bacall, Dies at 89



The Last of the Hollywood Greats
September 16, 1924 – August 12, 2014




By Gary;

They are almost all gone now.

The great ones from Hollywood's Golden Age have left us:  Bogey, John Wayne, Gary Cooper, Bette Davis, Clark Gable, Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman, Jimmy Stewart, Katharine Hepburn, Marlene Dietrich, Gene Tierney, Errol Flynn, Charles Laughton and so many more.

The memories.  God Bless you all.

Now the great Lauren Bacall has left this world.

Bacall never stopped working in a film career that spanned from 1944's To Have and Have Not all the way to the 2014 film Ernest & Celestine.

Work is work and not all movies are created equal.  Bacall will not be remembered for films like Scooby-Doo and the Goblin King.  But she did star in some classic films along the way such as Misery, The Shootist, Murder on the Orient Express, Key Largo and Dark Passage.

But my personal favorite was always Howard Hawks' classic The Big Sleep.  Sleep was perhaps the very best of Film Noir movies.  Bacall was a classic in looks and attitude.  And Bogie was, well, Bogie.  The one and only.

Bogey and Bacall.  That says everything there is to say about film, acting and class.


The Big Sleep (1946)




Bogey and Bacall
The Big Sleep




Bertie Higgins - Key Largo
We had it all
Just like Bogie and Bacall
Starring in our old late, late show
Sailing away to Key Largo




The Big Sleep (1946)
"So you're a private detective. I didn't know they existed, except in books, or else they were greasy little men snooping around hotel corridors. My, you're a mess, aren't you?"
 Vivian
.
"My, my, my! Such a lot of guns around town and so few brains! You know, you're the second guy I've met today that seems to think a gat in the hand means the world by the tail."
Philip Marlowe
.
"If I seem a bit sinister as a parent, Mr. Marlowe, it's because my hold on life is too slight to include any Victorian hypocrisy. I need hardly add that any man who has lived as I have and indulges for the first time in parenthood at my age deserves all he gets."
 General Sternwood

No comments: