.

NEWS AND VIEWS THAT IMPACT LIMITED CONSTITUTIONAL GOVERNMENT

"There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with
power to endanger the public liberty." - - - - John Adams

Saturday, October 14, 2017

A Jessica Jones Netflix Binge Watch



An Alcoholic Superhero
"Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic, the second is intimate, the third is routine."
Raymond Chandler



By Gary;

I ignored Netflix's Jessica Jones for a long time. Heck it came out at the tail end of 2015, and the last thing I wanted was to waste time on a comic hero I never heard of.

Then this year came along Netflix's The Defenders series with Daredevil and Jessica Jones. I was not entirely displeased.

In my review I trashed it as third string superheroes.  That may still be the case, but there was a certain something there.

So as I drifted through the Netflix selections there was Jessica Jones again. This time I clicked. . . . not just clicked, but got hooked into another binge watch.

A superhero who is a alcoholic, rude, asshole.  Something different.

Shades of Philip Marlowe and Sam Spade we see superhero Jones as an alcoholic greasy private eye in a crappy building surrounded by low lifes and druggies. Jones pretty much does not give a damn about anyone and takes clients to be able to buy booze.

There is a certain 1940s film noir quality to the 13 part Jones series.  Sort of The Maltese Falcon meets The X-Men if there is such a thing.

Jones' powers are strength and are not displayed much. She is fighting against a mind controlling mutant played by David Tennant. Mind control also does not require much of a special effects budget which is a plus for Netflix. But Tenant does such a good job as an often sympathetic psycho that you wonder why he has not made it in major films.

Bottom line, I was far more entertained than I ever dreamed I would be.

Now I am looking forward to Jessica Jones season 2 coming next year.

Rated  -  8 out of 10



Marvel's Jessica Jones - Season One
Season Two is coming mid-2018








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

never saw